We had our first meeting back for the semester today! We had a great turnout with tons of new faces, catering by Raising Cane’s, and a great presentation from our officers/advisors!
Our President, Michael, kicked us off by introducing our advisors, Dr. Kim and Dr. Jo, who enlightened us on the demand for cybersecurity jobs, great benefits, and opportunities available for students at UNLV. Summarizing their key points, they mentioned:
- The new Cybersecurity BA program coming next year (likely Spring 2023)
- The Free Cyber Clinic, where we train and then send students to small businesses to gain experience in cybersecurity.
- Opportunities with the Gen Cyber camp (paid)!
- We sponsor 20 people for Defcon every year.
- Our meeting with the White House’s National Cyber Director and Congresswoman Dina Titus.
- Our sponsorships from the NSA and DOE.
- Layer Zero as a gateway into many of these opportunities.
The opportunities are very exciting! Following their presentation, Michael gave us more background on what kind of work we do in Layer Zero itself, along with our upcoming meetings. Our Vice President, Angel, then followed up with an introduction to our participation in the National Cyber League competition every semester (we’ll reimburse half your entry fee if you join us for team season!). He also shared our exciting collaboration with CSN for an event similar to Pros vs Joes. We finished off the information sessions with Free Cyber Clinic’s President, Christian, and its Vice President, Mehdi. They gave us an overview of the Free Cyber Clinic and how everyone can get involved.
Finally, at the end, we finished off the meeting with some exciting activities! Angel hosted a station involving WiFi, Genaro hosted an activity exploring Google Form exploits, and Arian hosted a Burpe Suite activity!
Thank you, everyone, for coming out! We also want to thank our advisors, Dr. Kim and Dr. Jo, our presenters, and everyone who helped out with today’s presentation!
We hope to see you at our upcoming workshops! Check them out on the calendar page.